Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Magdalion (A fantasy story about Barby written by me)
08-27-2008, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 08:48 AM by Proganthony.)
Magdalion (A fantasy story about Barby written by me)
Hi everyone. A couple of years ago I wrote a fantasy story for the Dutch Kellyforum, and I wanted to let you enjoy it too. So I decided to start translate it in English. I hope this is the right place to put a story (otherwise Corry or any other moderator will probably put it in the right placeWink) I think this story can be read by everyone really, there are maybe a few more adult things coming up in later chapters, but it never gets over the edge really, at least I think not...
I started to write the story in 2005, and thus the ages of the Kellys in the story are the ages they were back then.

OK, here starts the story that takes place in the fantasy world of "Magdalion"

Chapter 1

Although the sun hadn't risen yet, it was already very busy at the O'Kelley Inn. This day was the first day of Springtime, which is the first day of the new year of Magdalion, and as such the most important holiday.
Patricia Kelly, who was the owner of the inn since her father passed away, was upstairs taking care of her sons, while her husband was in charge in the kitchen. The O'Kelley Inn was built by the crossing of the two main roads of the country, and as such it was very popular with the travelers who went from the capital Arcanis to the harbour in Tarinos. There was never a lack of customers, and as such the Kelly family had become very wealthy.
While Patricia was cuddling her children, she heard her sister Maite sing in the bathroom. Patricia smiled. This was a very important day for Maite. It was the first newyearsday after her 25th birthday, and this was the day when children in Magdalion were considered to be adults. And, more imprtantly, it was the day that all young men chose their wives. No wonder that Maite wanted to show the best of her today.
A little while later Patricia walked to the room of her other sister, Barby. She knocked on the door, but didn't get an answer. "She's proably still asleep", Patricia thought. For a moment she thought back to the newyearsday four years before. Even though she was very beautiful, Barby had been turned down by every man. The reason of this was never mentioned, but Patricia had heard whispers in the village about 'witchcraft'. Patricia snorted. What nonsense!
"Why are you so mad, Patricia?" Startled, Patricia awoke from her thoughts. She hadn't heard Maite come out of the bathroom. "Oh Maite. I'm sorry, I was somewhere else with my thoughts." She looked at her sister from head to foot. "You look gorgeous. I'm sure you'll win the heart from that boy two blocks further easily." Maite blushed. "I...I don't know at all aout which boy you're talking." Patricia smiled and said: "Just get your breakfast quick, you're expected at the Ladies' Council in an hour."

Barby awoke from a restless sleep. Again it was newyearsday, the day she hated the most since four years. Oh sure, it was a holiday, a day of feast, and she was absolutely happy to see her family again; her brother Paddy who had joined the monastery of Garma, and her brother Jimmy who worked in the harbour of Tarinos would also come to visit, but each Spring she again got reminded of the harsh rejections. Even four years later all boys avoided her as if she had the plague. That made her deeply unhappy.
Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but still she hoped that one day someone would love her. But also she wanted to know why no-one was interested in her.
She looked outside through her window. Downstairs, Rachel was standing, one of hew few friends, if not the only real friend she had. "Hey Barby", Rachel cried, "are you coming outside?" Barby shook her head. "You know very well what day it is today. I don't want to be disappointed again." But Rachel didn't give up. "Why do you care what anyone says about you. Those people are just stupid. You also have the right to have some fun. Come on! I heard the Council had invited a Musician. From Melodion!"
Melodion?! Everyone in Magdalion knows that name. Melodion is the city where the art form known as 'music' was invented, and the school in that city is renowned in Magdalion, and even far over its borders. Someone who comes from that legendary city, is one of the greatest musicians.
Barby had often dreamed that she could go to that school, but no-one knew where Melodion lies. Except of course the musicians themselves, but they kept the exact location secret.
Now Barby had become a bit anxious about the musician. "I'll be right there", she cried back to Rachel. Quickly she put on her clothes and walked downstairs.

(to be continued)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2008, 06:26 AM
RE: Magdalion (A fantasy story about Barby written by me)
WOW ANTONY IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL THE WAY YOU WRITE, hope that you can translate the whole story soon, cause it's really interesting... I'm looking forward to read more....great work....LuxhelloLuxhelloLuxhello
08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Enie Wrote:WOW ANTONY IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL THE WAY YOU WRITE, hope that you can translate the whole story soon, cause it's really interesting... I'm looking forward to read more....great work....LuxhelloLuxhelloLuxhello

thank you, Enie. I'm trying to translate one chapter each evening, so come check this topic every night.Wink
08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Anthony, really nice story Friends
I started to read it yesterday but there were more words which I had to translate with dictionary so it took me more time to read it. It´s also useful for my English.
I was smiling when I read it and I will enjoy continuation Wink
Luxhello

♫ ♫ ♫ Cover the road... ♫ ♫ ♫

08-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Woww..such a beautiful story @Anthony. I love it! AniheartAniheart
Can't wait for the continue. Wink

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2008, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 09:57 PM by Proganthony.)
Chapter 2

A little while later the two friends were standing together at the village square. The Musician was practising his flute. There were two chains with tiny bells tied around his legs that gently chimed while he was stamping his foot to count the bars. Against the festivity tree, two guitars were standing.
"He's a very good player, don't you think?" Rachel asked to Barby. Barby smiled. Rachel was right, the music was very beautiful. So the stories about the Musicians of Melodion were true.
The Musician must have heard the compliment, as he smiled and asked: "Can I play a beatiful song for the beautiful ladies?"
Rachel was delighted. "Yes, can you play us a dancing song? Come on, Barby, let's dance together!" But Barby shook her head. "I haven't danced for such a long time. Why don't you just dance." Rachel felt disappointed, but she knew she shouldn't pressure Barby too much.
The Musician picked up a guitar and started singing and playing. Barby recognised the song. It was the story of Princess Thalia, who won the heart of her beloved prince with het beautiful dancing. A very apt song to dance to and very popular at every feast. But...she had never heard it being played so beautifully.
All of a sudden she felt so funny. Not an uncomfortable feeling, but strange. As if something as tickling in her blood. She took a few steps forward, and started dancing. And kept on dancing. She didn't know why she was doing it, but she simply had to dance. She closed her eyes, as she used to do, and danced across the square.
She didn't know how much time had passed when she stopped, but when she opened her eyes, she saw the surprised face of the Musician. Rachel was even looking at her with her mouth open wide.
"What's wrong?" Barby asked. "Have you never seen someone dance before?" Rachel shook her head and said: "I know you're a good dancer, but I've never seen you dance THAT good before."
The Musician said: "If you'll dance that good tonight, you'll surely win the heart of your boyfriend." That remark brought back some painful memories, and Barby ran away crying. The Musician was shocked. While he plucked the strings of his guitar again, he asked Rachel: "I said something wrong, didn't I?" Rachel answered: "Barby was rejected by her friend on newyearsday four years ago." The Musician was even more surprised now. "Four years ago?" Rachel nodded. "Believe it or not, she may not look like it, but Barby is almost thirty years old now." If the Musician wasn't already surprised, he certainly was it now. "Wow, then she's actually older than I am."
And then he continued: 'Where I come from, many women would kill to look younger than their real age. So, what's the problem then?" Rachel answered: "The people in town...they think she's touched by withcraft." The Musician smiled. "And you don't share their point of view." "Of course I don't!", shouted Rachel irritated. "Calm down, I didn't mean to upset you.", said the Musician gently.
"But can I ask you one thing. The Mayor said that I could stay for the night at the O'Kelley Inn. Could you be so kind to show me the way?" "Of course" said Rachel. "Just follow me."
When they arrived at the Inn, the Musician said to Rachel: "If you see your friend Barby again, would you tell her that I'm very sorry, and that I've spoken with ignorance." Rachel laughed. "You can tell it to her yourself. Barby is the sister of Patricia Kelly, the Innkeeper. Surely you will see her again soon."
The Musician smiled and said goodbye to Rachel who walked home...and suddenly started wondering why she told a stranger the one thing that the other villagers only talked about in secret!

(to be continued)

Author's Note: Yeah, those first chapters are actually quite short. But don't worry, there are bigger chapters coming up later in the story
08-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Wooow, beautiful story Anthony yesBabydust. It´s very exciting and I like the way you describe situationsok
Can´t wait to the next chapters ...
Bravo LuxhelloLuxhello

[Image: kd3h4x.jpg]
08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
wow i love your story!!! it's amazing i love fantasy stories! they make me fly in my thoughts!!
i want to see more and more!

*.* PatriciaKelly*.* 30thApril Madrid!
08-29-2008, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2008 09:04 PM by Proganthony.)
Chapter 3

Barby was lying on her bed with her face buried in her pillow. After crying out for a while, the pain had lessened a bit. She stood up and took a look at the little painting on the wall. On the painting stood a little girl in a white dress and a boy in a brwon jacket. She sighed deep. She didn't know why she still kept that painting. She was the girl, and the boy was her boyfriend Nick. At least, he was her boyfriend when the painting was made. It was painted fifteen years before during the Feast of the Sun, and Barby was deeply in love with Nick. They had promised each other that they would get married when they'd become adults.
But when that day came, Nick had declared that he wanted to travel to Arcanis to join the army of the king. After that, Barby had never seen him again.
Barby took another look at the painting. Even though it hurted, it was also a memory to the only love she ever knew. She wiped the tears from her face and walked downstairs.

"Welcome to the O'Kelley Inn" said Patricia to the Musician. "I've reservated a very good room for you, with a view of the Arcanian Lake. Because of the festivities, dinner will today be served already at four o'clock, sir." The Musician smiled. "Please, Madam, you don't have to call me sir, that makes me feel old. You can just call me Anthony." Patricia smiled. "OK, Anthony. But then you can call me Patricia, not Madam."
At that moment Barby came down. Patricia saw her and asked: "Barby, could you bring Anthony to room 26? This is the Musician who will play at the party tonight." To Anthony she said: "This is my sister Barby." Anthony replied: "Yes, we already met at the Village Square a moment ago." He followed Barby upstairs.
Upstairs Barby opened the door of room 26. "I hope everything is as you like it.", she said. "Oh absolutely." Anthony said, "this room is beautiful. I'd almost say it's too much of an honur for a simple Musician like me." But more seriously he added: "Barby, I'm sorry for what just happened." But Barby said: "It's OK, you couldn't know that."
Anthony put his bags beside the bed. Barby stayed in the doorway and looked at him. His skin was dark. Could Melodion be in the south? People from the desert of Toragan were darkskinned. But none of them wore the black coat Anthony was wearing.
Anthony noticed that Barby was still standing in the doorway and asked: "Is something the matter?" Barby hesitated for a moment, but then asked: "Can I......can I talk with you for a moment?" She sat down at the table and Anthony sat down opposite to her. "What do you want to talk about?" he asked. Barby tried hard to hide her nervosity. "Tell me about Melodion."
Anthony kept silent for a moment but then he said: "I'm not allowed to tell you where you can find Melodion, but I don't think it's forbidden to tell you about Melodion. What do you want to know?"
"Is it true you invented music?" Anthony laughed. "So you want to hear a story? Well, according to legends Magdalion was in its very early days a land of sadness. There was something missing in the people's lives, but they couldn't explain what it was. Until one day the goddess Musica, daughter of Grandmother Garma appeared. She teached the people the gentle art of music, to give them joy in their lives."
"Is it really that simple?" Barby asked. Anthony nodded. "Music, real music is magic. You can do everything with it." He picked up a guitar and played a melody. "Music can take on many froms of emotion. When I tell a story, the music amplifies the emotion. Music can be happy, or sad. Or even angry." While he gave his explanation, Anthony kept playing hid guitar. First a happy dance song, then a sad elegy, and finally a threatening battle-song. Barby listened to his music. It was as if the whole room became filled with music.
Anthony continued his story: "It has been said that Melodion was built at hte place where Musica first appeared to the people. As you surely understand, the people named this new form of art after the goddess. She gave them a task: to spread the music over all of Magdalion and eventually over the whole world, so that everyone could enjoy it."
"But then why has Melodion been hidden?" A shade of sorrow came over Anthony's face. "The goddess Musica gave the music to the first Musicians on the condition that they would use it to make other people happy. Never should it be used for selfish reasons. That's why we never ask for a concert anything more than we really need: A room to sleep and food to eat. This ideal lasted for thousands of years.
However, eventually some Musicians thought they deserved more. They decided to make music for money. That's very terrible, as because of that, the music lost its magic. In places where people normally opened the doors for each other and made the most beautiful things together, now they all became very cold towards each other. When the Elders of Melodion discovered what was happening, they used the magic of music to hide the city forever.
Only those who live in Melodion know how they can find the city, and only those who truly want to make music that comes straight from their hearts can enter it."
Barby had closed her eyes and romanced how the city would look like. Melodion! A city full of music must be truly amazing. Then she remembered something. "Did you make me dance on the square?" Anthony shook his head. "That's not the kind of magic that is in our music. We cannot let people do things they don't want to do. However, sometimes our music can make the people do the things they truly want to do."
At that moment Patricia entered the room. "Barby, are you still here?" The marriage ceremonies will begin soon, you do want to be there for Maite, don't you?" Barby was startled. How long had she been talking with Anthony? It only seemed a few minutes. Anthony said: "As we say in Melodion: 'In happy times, time can be as fast as lightning.' We'll talk further later, if we have an opportunity for that."
Barby walked out, but kept standing at the doorway for a moment. "Thank you", she said. Then she quickly went to her room, where she put on her best clothes for the party. Although she didn't like this day, she was very happy for Maite.
She looked in her wardrobe and suddenly she saw her old dancing shoes. Those she hadn't worn either for the past four years. She was thinking, should she try it today? Why not? she thought, and she put on the dancing shoes.
Then she heard Patricia calling: "Barby, are you almost ready? Jimmy and Paddy have arrived." "I'll be right there.", Barby called back. Eventually she chose for a green dress, and after watching herself in the mirror she walked downstairs.
08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Anthony, Barby...
Nice story, nice ideas! Luxhellook

08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Antony, good job....amazing story and great characters...I imagined from the start that these names would be in the story.... ok
I can't wait for more....
08-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Very nice story, Anthony! Great work Luxhello

[Image: banner.jpg]
08-29-2008, 10:08 PM
thank you, everyone.Happy

Chapter 4

That evening all villagers gathered together at the market square to witness the marriage ceremonies of the new adults. Maite tried hard not be nervou while one by one the boys gave their hearts to the girls.
Then finally Florent, one of the pupils of the blacksmith stepped forward. In his hand he held a necklace, which was a gem in the shape of a heart. He said: "My name is Florent." Then he lays the necklace in Maite's hand. "And I call you Maite. I give you my heart, under the protection of Garma, and connect my life with yours."
This ritual is one of the oldest in the history of Magdalion. When mankind was still young, and everything had yet to be discovered and named, the men gave a name to everything they saw. But of course, today no man would dare to give his new wife a different name than her own name.
Maite put the necklace around her neck. "Under the protection of Garma I accept your heart. In good days and bad, our lives will be as one, until the day that Garma calls us for the Great Journey." The two lovers embraced each other, while the mayor tied Maite's left wrist and Florent's right wrist together with the wedding cord.
Maite and Florent were the last couple, and from the square sounded a huge applause.
After that, the party really got started. The bonfires were lit and the villagers called out for music. Anthony started to play the song of princess Thalia, and everybody started to dance. The mmod was very good, and the crows kept asking for more. "OK", said Anthony, "the next song is also part of the tradition. It's time for the Dance on a Volcano". The people started laughing. "Nobody can dance to that.", they shouted.
The Dance on a Volcano was another one of the stories of princess Thalia. It told about Thalia's daughter who was being kidnapped by the demon Sha'Tarno, the counterpart of Grandmother Garma. To get her child back, Thalia chased the demon to the top a volcano. Sha'Tarno there challenged the princess to dance with him. If she turned out to be a better dancer than him, he would give her back her child. But the demon was very sly, and the rhythm and pace of the dance kept changing unexpectedly. But Thalia didn't give up, and eventually she defeated the demon, who fell into the volcano. It was said that Garma and Musica themselves protected Thalia. But now it was nothing more than a story, and the Dance on a Volcano was vey popular at parties as an endurance test to find out who was the best dancer, even though no one could dance the dance in its entirety.
And so Anthony started playing the Dance on a Volcano. Maite and Florent made a good start, but yet they already had to stop after two minutes when they made a mistake. One by one the villagers stopped dancing, and started conversations with each other. But Anthony kept playing on, as the tradition wanted him to do so.
Suddenly the buzz stopped, and everyone looked at the only dancer who was still on the floor. Even Anthony looked surprised while he played on. Seemingly without any effort, and without making one mistake, Barby had danced the complete Dance on a Volcano.

(to be continued)
08-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Barby is great dancer Aniheart
Nice story, I am looking forward to Barby´s love Wink

08-30-2008, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2009 10:10 PM by Proganthony.)
Chapter 5

Anthony put his amazement beside him and called out: "Ladies and gentlemen, you're all witnesses of a miracle. In many centuries nobody succeeded in dancing the Dance on a Volcano in its entirety. As a Musician of Melodion I declare that Barby is the best dancer of this village." "That's our Barby!", Maite creid out happily. But the other villagers gave nothing but a lukewarm applause and someone called: "Could she possibly dance to the story of Seraphina?"
Anthony had to hide his anger. Rachel was right, they DID think Barby was touched by witchcraft. Seraphina was a poor young girl who had lost her entire family because of a war. This gave her a big fear of death, and as such she was an easy prey for Sha'Tarno who seduced her with the promise of immortality. However, Seraphina didn't know that because of this immortality, she never grew old and always stayed a child.
But Anthony answered: "This is a party, that's no place to tell such dark stories. Let me play another dancing song." And he started to play a waltz. Suddenly he heard someone sing, too soft to be heard by the villagers, but clear enough for Anthony's trained ears:
You're my Sweetest Angel, you go to my heart..."
Anthony looked around to find out who was singing. It was Barby.
It was amazing. Not only was she a good dancer, but she also had the talent to improvise lyrics over music. Amazement and admiration flashed through his head. How was it possible that such a talent was remained hidden in this small village. As a Musician, he surely wanted to know more aobut her.

No more incidents happened during the party. When the party was over, Anthony sat down at the bar. Maite complimented him. "You palyed very beautiful." Anthony smiled. "Thank you very much. And by the way, congratulations with your marriage." Maite smiled back. "Are you coming back in two years?" Then our youngest brother will get married." "I don't know", said Anthony. "There are many Musicians in Melodion, and everybody has an equal chance to do a performance. Maybe I'll come back, but maybe it will be someone else's turn."
Then Barby joined them. Maite said: "I'm going back to Florent. Will you see that the maestro gets what he deserves?" Barby too complimented Anthony but he said: "If someone deserves a compliment, then it's you. That dance was amazing. Where did you learn that." Barby's face became sad, and that worried Anthony. "I hope I haven't said something wrong again." Barby said: "It's OK, again I can't blame you for something you can't know."
She let go a deep sigh and said: "My mother was a dancer. She was my idol. I wanted to be as good as she was." "Was?" Anthony asked. Barby nodded. "She passed away when I was still a little child. But when I close my eyes I can see her stand in front of me. I always dance with my eyes closed, and then I see my mother dance, and I dance just like her." Anthony said: "Then she must have been a fantastic dancer."
And he continued: "You certainly have a lot of talent. It's such a pity that so much talent is lost." For a moment Barby wasn't sure what to say, but then she nervously said: "Could I...perhaps, too...."
At that moment a brick was thrown thorugh one of the windows of the inn. Everybody was shocked and looked outside. Quickly a second stone followed, and another, until it seemed like it rained stones. Patricia cried out: "What's going on?"
"Burn that witch!", a voice cried out from outside. "Burn down the witch's house, another one shouted. Outside a crowd had surrounded the O'Kelley Inn. With torches, hay and oil they were planning to burn down the inn. Inside the inn everyone started panicking.
Anthony however remained calm and picked up a guitar. "Everyone, stay calm, and let me handle this." He looked at Barby and said: "Come with me, but stay behind me." Patricia yelled: "Are you crazy? They're coming for her!" Anthony's face was an ocean of calm. "Please, trust me, if you want your sister to be saved."
While he played his guitar he walked to the door. "What's going on here", he said. The mob just snarled at him. "Mind your own business, this is a village affair." Anthony remained calm. "Well, well, what have we here? So you want to burn down the inn, right? Excuse me, but I'm staying at this inn. So if you burn down this inn, then I'll burn with it. And I think that my life is my business, right?" Somehow the crowd seemed to be suprised about Anthony's calmness. Then one man shouted again: "This is nothing against you personally, Musician, we just want to rid our village from a witch." Anthony's calmness wasn't broken at all. "Well, well, you want to rid the village from a witch. But did you also think about the long term consequences?" The villagers were more surprised now. "What do you mean? If the witch is gone, our village will be save."
Anthony kept playing own. "Safety for the village. That sounds noble, but how long do you think there still will be a village." The confusion of the villagers kept growing. "Stay calm, and I will explain it to you. You want to kill a witch, but to reach that goal, you want to burn down this inn. Have you forgotten that this inn is the economical heart of this village? Everyone who travels from Arcanis to Tarinos, chooses this inn as their resting place. If this inn is gone, no traveler will visit this village. Which means no one will do any shopping here. And because of that, no one will have any work to do. Everyone will become unemployed, and no one will be able to earn any money. Eventually there will be no other option for anyone than to move away to other villages and cities." The calm voice of Anthony formed a contrast with his music which started to sound more and more menacing.
"Do you understand? The end of the O'Kelley Inn will mean the end of the village." The villagers were mumbling suprised and frightened. Anthony hoped they had enough common sense. Sadly one man wasn't convinced: "How can this village survive if we let that witch stay here even if we don't burn the inn?" Anthony sighed deeply. Then there was only one solution left. "So, you don't want her here? Alright, then there is another option. In Melodion they will appreciate her talents much more than they do here. So, what if I took her with me?"
Behind him, Barby held her breath. One part of her was frightened. What if the villagers killed her anyway? Another part was surprised to hear that she would be allowed to go to Melodion, and yet another part of her was worrying about her family.
The man who spoke the last time yelled again. "Don't think we're stupid. You say you'll take her with you to Melodion but everyone knows Meoldion cannot be entered if you're not going by free will." Anthony just shrugged. "Alright then, why don't we ask Barby herself." He stepped aside, so everyone could see Barby and he asked: "Barby do you want to go to Melodion?"
Many thoughts flashed through Barby's heas. Could she abandon her family? But...Melodion...finally one dream could come true. Even though she would miss everyone....no, she had to accept this offer. Not only because she really wanted to, but also because the villagers would surely burn the inn if she stayed. She had to leave to save herself and her family.
As loud as she could speak, so surely everyone could hear her, she shouted: "Yes, I'm going to Melodion."

(to be continued)
08-30-2008, 09:51 PM
i really love this story! this captivate me! is really fantastic! i can't stop reading! please write more!

*.* PatriciaKelly*.* 30thApril Madrid!
08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Fascinating.....I want more LuxhelloLuxhelloLuxhello
08-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Exciting story! You have a talent for writing! Luxhello

08-31-2008, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2009 10:12 PM by Proganthony.)
Chapter 6

Next morning Barby said goodbye to her family. Patricia took her in a firm embrace, while tears filled her eyes. "Please forgive us, Barby.", she said. "We knew all these years what everyone in the village thought, but we didn't see the seriousness of the situtation." But Anthony said: "You mustn't blame yourself. People believe what they want to believe, and when fear rules, logic won't change their minds."
"I want to ask you one thing before we go.", said Barby. "Was it your music that made me say that I'd go with....that I'd go to Melodion." Anthony shook his head: "I told you before, the music cannot make you do anything you don't want to. Everything you said, you said with your own free will." Barby actually expected that answer. But in fact it didn't matter, if she had answered differently, it would have been certain death for her.
Finally, Barby said goodbye to Rachel. "Thank you very much for your friendship through all these years. Next year it's your turn to get married. I hope that no one will blame you for being a friend of a 'witch'." Rachel kissed her and said: "Take good care of yourself."
Outside Anthony stood by his wagon. "I'm sorry that it has to go like this for you, but we'd better leave quickly. I don't know how the villagers will react when they see you haven't left yet." After a final look at the inn where she had grown up, Barby and Anthony left the village.

After riding for a few hours, Anthony stopped the wagon. "What's wrong?" Barby asked. Anthony asked her once more: "Are you really sure you want to go to Melodion?" "Of course I'm sure!", Barby replied firmly. Anthony explained: "As I told you, only those who truly want to make music straight from the heart can enter Melodion. If you have even the tiniest bit of doubt, you won't be able to enter it. That's why I'm asking you if you are absolutely sure about it." But Barby knew what she wanted. This was a dream she had for years, and now this dream could come true. Even though she was sad about what happened the night before, and though she was worried about her family, this dream was all that was left for her, and no one would take that dream away from her.
"Alright", said Anthony. "Then it's time for the final test. We're going to Melodion now, but you must be blindfolded." This surprised Barby. "Why? I'm becoming a student too. Then it isn't forbidden to me to know where Melodion lies, or is it?" Anthony shook his head. "Not yet. You will be a student after you have been tested. Let's say it is a kind of an entrance examination. After you passed that examination, you will be a student of Melodion. People who fail will have to leave Melodion, but to prevent that they will reveal the location of Melodion, every newcomer has to enter Melodion blindfolded for the first time.
But don't worry, I'm absolutely sure you will pass the test. But even though I'm sure the test is nothing more than a formality, I'm not allowed to break the rules. So, if you truly want to go to Melodion, I must blindfold you now."
Barby agreed, knowing that she had no other option. Anthony blindfolded her, and led her inside the wagon. "You can sit down here, I'll come back soon." And his voice sounded friendly when he said: "Maybe can be some help for you: Everyone who wants to go to Melodion has to go through this, I had to do this too when I wanted to become a student." After that he walked outside again.
Barby waited. To her surprise the wagon didn't move. She waited another while, Anthony probably needed a little time to get on the box again. But time passed and still the wagon didn't move. And all this time Barby was sitting in the dark. She started to feel scared. She pushed away that feeling. Just a little doubt and her dream would be gone. But why did the wagon not ride any further? Her fear growed. Did Anthony leave her behind?
At that moment she saw a flash of light out of the corner of her eye. Did she see someone dance? She focused on the light and kept watching. Then she recognised the dancer Can it be......mama? At that moment she heard a voice in her head saying: "Don't be afraid, Barby". Somehow Barby felt...safe, when she heard that voice. All her fear disappeared, and she drawed hope out of that light.
A little later, the door of the wagon was opened. "You did it, Barby!" It was Anthony's voice. While he removed the bandage he said: "Welcome to Melodion." Barby was confused. "Are we in Melodion? How? The wagon hasn't moved at all." "Oh really?" Anthony said. "Take a look outside."
Barby walked out, and couldn't believe her eyes. Instead to see the road where they had stopped, she saw a big square in the middle of a city. And the city....Barby couldn't find the words to describe it, but 'beautiful' seemed to be a big understament. The first thing she noticed was a fountain with a golden swan. She kept looking around. There was an inn that looked similar to the O'Kelley Inn. In front of the inn she saw a group of young people making music together. One of them played guitar, another one played a harp, and yet another played an oboe. But most striking was a huge tower that shione in the sunlight. "That is the School.", Anthony said.
At that moment someone called Anthony's name. Anthony immediately ran in the direction from which the voice had called. Barby looked bewildered. Was everything and everyone in this town so...magnificent? The voice that had called Anthony belonged to the most beautiful woman Barby had ever seen. And obviously she and Anthony were good friends.
Anthony and the woman came to Barby. "Barby, may I introduce you to Heather. She is my teacher." His teacher! Why did that make her feel so....relieved?
Heather heartily greeted Barby: "Welcome to Melodion. So you will be our new student." Anthony said: "You can be sure about that, Heather. Do you know someone who can dance the Dance on a Volcano in its entirety?" Heather was staggered. "Really? She can do that? Then she HAS to be accepted. I'll send a message to the head masters, then she could do her examination already tomorrow." "That's great", said Anthony, "but let's show her her room first. Then she can take some time to relax".
Barby looked around in amazement. She kept wondering how she would ever be able to describe this wonderous city. But then she realised that she'd probably never need to describe it. She was banished from her village, and now Melodion would surely be her new home. This thought made her cry for a moment. "Is something wrong?" said Anthony worriedly. "It's OK, it will go away in a moment." said Barby. "I see. It was a heavy night after all.", said Anthony. "I'll explain it later" he said when he saw the question on Heather's face.
Barby wiped away her tears. She had to face the facts. The past was gone. Today was the first day of a new life.

(to be continued)
08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
LuxhelloFriends